Book Covers: Old vs. New

So I'm a huge fan of books covers. I'm strangely fascinated with them and I can't really explain why. I especially find it interesting when older and familiar books get redone and even when a paperback versions of a familiar hardcover novel is graced with a new cover for its release.

New













Which leads me to this. Today, while I was compiling an amazon book wish list ( sooo much fun!)

I came across Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles (which is amazing, by the way) and also happens to have a new cover.

I think it's pretty cool actually and it also happens to match Elkeles' other book Perfect Chemistry which is why I think they gave this cover a new look to begin with.

Although, I think I'm still a bigger fan of the original cover.

Which one do you prefer?


New














I also stumbled across Living Dead Girl which for its paperback release (September 8th, 2009) is also sporting a different cover.

Personally, I much prefer the hardcover for this one. After having read the book I realized that the white dress ties in perfectly with the novel.

Which one grabs your initial attention?

13 comments:

  1. I like the new Leaving Paradise cover better, she has an interesting expression and I like the hand holding, plus it's eye cacthing. After reading what Living Dead Girl is about, I think the white dress cover fits it better, it's creepier. I don't think I'll ever read that book though, no matter what they wrap it in. I tend to dream about books I've read, and it sounds like a wakeup-screaming nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new one of Leaving Paradise and the old one of Living Dead Girl.

    Haven't read either of those books though ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new cover of Leaving Paradise is cool and it really matches Perfect Chemistry.

    I have Living Dead Girl in my To Read Pile and I have to say I prefer the hardcover. Actually, I think it was the cover what drove me to read the summary and to buy the book. I love it and although I haven't read the book yet, I think this one reflects better the plot, and it gives me a kind of sad-creepy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the new cover for Leaving and the old one for Dead Girl...I haven't read Leaving but the new cover would certainly make me pick it up. Having read Living Dead Girl the old cover has more significance to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the old Leaving Paradise cover better. It just really seems to match the title with the neon sign pointing down the direction of the road. Plus the winding road really draws my attention deeper into the frame.

    As for Living Dead Girl, I really like both covers for different reasons. The paperback shows excellent use of lighting and is very simplistic. The hardcover shows great composition and is very eye-catching. So I can't really choose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't read either book but here are the ones that attract me:
    leaving paradise = the neon sign
    living dead girl = white dress

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read either of those but I prefer the new Leaving Paradise and the HB Elizabeth Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read leaving paradise. I like both paperback better-they're more simple, yet more meaningful. And prettier:-D \
    -AMY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know that the leg on Living Dead Girl was an accident? It's the photographer's, but it looked nice so they kept it.

    Random facts in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6/21/2009

    No, I had no idea Laina, that's really cool though haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely like the new cover for Leaving Paradise better the other looks 90's. But as for living dead girl I'm not sure. I really loved the cover for the hardcover, but seeing the nice minimalist look the paperback has going for it I'm torn. I think if the title wasn't so catching and it was just covers..... I might end up with the paperback one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the new cover of Leaving Paradise and the old cover of Living Dead Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer the new covers in both of those cases.

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Get In Touch