Lock and Key

Lock and Key
By: Sarah Dessen

Ruby, where is your mother?
With that question from the social worker, Ruby knows the game is up. She's been living alone in the old yellow house, waiting out the months until she turns eighteen and can finally be on her own legally. It certainly wasn't in her plan to be reunited with Cora, the sister who left ten years before, and brought to live with Cora and her wealthy entrepreneur husband. Suddenly life is transformed: a luxurious house, private school, new clothes, and even the chance of a future Ruby couldn't have dreamed of. So why is she wary, unable to be grateful, incapable of letting anyone close? Her old life has been left behind, but where does she fit in this new life? Only Nate, the genial, popular boy next door, seems to understand, perhaps because he's hiding some secrets of his own.

summary from back of book

My Rating: 4/5

I love Sarah Dessen. There aren't enough words to describe just how much I love and look forward to reading her novels. I first stumbled across her books when I was sixteen and haven't faltered from the impressions they've left on me. There is always something to be learned from a Dessen novel, something that makes you reflect on your own life that makes you really think. This wasn't my favourite Sarah Dessen novel but it was great nonetheless. Her characters are always so full of life and realistic. The situations, everything is always true to the way things play out in life.

One thing I really loved about this book was the mention of Dessen's other much loved characters. If you're well versed in Dessen's novels you'll know that they all for the most part, live in a small fictional town by the name of Lakeview and occasionally, cross paths. There were many characters mentioned from past novels especially The Truth About Forever which I love to pieces.

One thing I also really appreciate with Sarah's novels are her metaphors. I'm really kind of obsessed with them actually and I'm always amazed at how she ties the title of the novel in perfectly to the story and the meaning behind it. Any book by her is a must read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Get In Touch